Senior System Engineer
Graduate School USA is an independent, educational, not-for-profit institution headquartered in the nation’s capital with additional sites strategically located throughout the U.S. We are an active learning community with a rich history that spans nine decades. Our range of programs and services includes continuing education, academic programs, career development and certificate programs--all designed to serve the needs of organizations and individuals in both government and the private sector.
The GSUSA Information Technology Operations Team is seeking a Senior Systems Engineer/Administrator (SSEA) to ensure the stability, integrity, and efficient operation of the in-house information systems that support core organizational functions of the School. The SSEA will provide expert technical assistance to team members with high-level system requests by monitoring, maintaining, supporting, and optimizing all networked software and associated operating systems. The SSEA will apply proven communication, analytical, and problem-solving skills to help identify, communicate, and resolve issues in order to maximize the benefit of IT systems investments. This individual will also mentor and provide guidance to junior members of the IT staff. As a member of the IT Operations Team, the SSEA will work independently and as part of a team to answer service desk calls, urgently analyze technical issues, address Level 2 escalations, work with team members on related projects, and troubleshoot over the phone/onsite/via remote access.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Design and deploy new applications and enhancements to existing applications, software, and operating systems.
- Conduct research on software and systems products to justify recommendations and to support purchasing efforts.
- Collaborate with Network Engineer to ensure smooth and reliable operation of software and systems for fulfilling business objectives and processes.
- Gauge the effectiveness and efficiency of existing systems; develop and implement strategies for improving or further leveraging these systems.
- Propose and create system design models, specifications, diagrams, and charts to provide direction to system programmer and development teams.
- Design and perform server and security audits, system backup procedures, and other recovery processes in accordance with the company’s disaster recovery and business continuity strategies.
- Integrate servers, including database, e-mail, print, and backup servers and their associated software into enterprise systems.
- Ensure system connectivity of all servers, shared software, groupware, and other applications.
- Develop and maintain documentation as it relates to system configuration, mapping, processes, and service records.
- Ensure compatibility and interoperability of in-house computing systems.
- Coordinate and perform in-depth tests, including end-user reviews, for modified and new systems.
- Monitor and test system performance; prepare and deliver system performance statistics and reports.
- Bachelor’s Degree with a minimum of 5 years of experience.
- Professional IT Certifications such as: Microsoft, Citrix, Cisco, VMWare, Fortinet, etc.
- Knowledge of Dell Servers, Appassure, VMware, Oracle, SQL database
- Proven experience in overseeing the design, development, and implementation of software systems, applications, and related products.
- Proven experience with systems planning, security principles, and general software management best practices.
- Excellent understanding of the organization’s goals and objectives.
- Knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws.
- Good project management skills.
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Proven analytical and creative problem-solving abilities.
- Experience creating system architecture diagrams and writing comprehensive documentation Solid understanding of a broad spectrum of information technologies related to servers, storage, networks, printers, and data backups
Interested applicants must submit a resume and cover letter.
Graduate School USA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.